STC Casino Holdings
STC Casino Holdings is a partnership company between the seven member First Nations of STC for the ownership of the Dakota Dunes Casino facility. The $70 M facility is home to the Dakota Dunes Casino where numerous business meetings, events and musical entertainment take place. Revenues from rents are channeled back into STC communities.
The Dakota Dunes Casino is located on the historical Whitecap First Nation, 20 minutes south of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan on Highway 219.
Canadian Council for Aboriginal Business
The Saskatoon Tribal Council (STC) is dedicated to creating a respectful environment that inspires and encourages innovation and leadership while strengthening partnerships with communities. We do this by providing exceptional program and service delivery, sustainable economic development, strong political, and a representative voice for our Nations while respecting the sovereignty of our member First Nations: Kinistin Saulteaux Nation, Mistawasis First Nation, Muskeg Lake First Nation, Muskoday First Nation, One Arrow First Nation, Whitecap Dakota First Nation and Yellow Quill First Nation.
STC had a goal to increase the level of First Nations participation and ensure inclusion in all sectors of the Saskatchewan potash industry. Four out of five PotashCorp mines are located within an hour of Saskatoon; for STC it was strategic to approach PotashCorp to be a potential partner.
STC Strategies for Partnership Opportunities
- Market, demonstrate, and establish STC’s capacity as a credible First Nation stakeholder with Saskatchewan potash producers
- Through dialogue, gain the respect and trust from the Saskatchewan potash industry
- Formalize relationships with the Saskatchewan potash industry that will ensure First Nations inclusion and participation
- Secure the political and financial support to ensure sustainability of this initiative
- Identify business and Government agencies that could support this initiative
- Formalize long term Partnership Agreements with Saskatchewan potash producers
Share STC partnership successes
- Develop external communication strategy that places STC at the forefront
- Develop internal communication strategy that ensures all STC corporations support this initiative
June 2011 – PotashCorp and STC formalized a commitment with a signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) that outlined the actions required to sustain a productive long-term relationship.