Nibwasawigamig – Kinistin Education Centre
Job Title: Student Transition Worker
Position: – 2022-2023 School year
Location: Kinistin First Nation
Term: Full Time
Compensation: Will vary based on Education and Experience
The Student Transition Worker will facilitate and support partnership initiatives between the First Nation community school and the affiliated provincial school. Facilitate the communication between the First Nation and provincial school to ensure a smooth transition from the First Nation school to provincial school (secondary and post-secondary). The transition worker serves as a point of reference for students, parents and staff to the partner provincial school. The Student Transition Worker will also be required to be familiar with the post-secondary and vocational training institutions and their program offerings.
Duties and Accountabilities
- To assist in the development and administration of transitioning programs designed to support communication between First Nation schools and the affiliated provincial school.
- To research transitioning activities and facilitate that support through building capacity and sharing of expertise.
- To coordinate joint professional development opportunities and place-based learning programming to facilitate positive relationships for students in both First Nation and provincial schools.
- To establish and maintain a shared presence in both the First Nation and provincial schools to ensure reasonable access for students.
- To expand transitioning programs in order to meet the individual partnership and transition needs of students and community.
- To facilitate the cooperation of staff and community members in the delivery of place-based learning activities between First Nation and provincial schools.
- To facilitate the opportunity for families to become meaningfully engaged in their child’s education.
- To support, inform, and engage families of students in transition.
- To facilitate the information flow between the community, the First Nation school and the provincial school.
- To attend meeting and participate in professional development opportunities.
- To assist with the implementation of community education philosophy and interagency initiatives; and
- Perform other duties as assigned by immediate supervisor.
- Preference will be given to an individual with a Bachelor Degree in Education, Social Work and/or other related fields. However, a combination of education and related work experience may be considered.
- Knowledge and working experience with First Nation and provincial education systems.
- Knowledge and understanding of First Nation values, culture and Elder protocols would be an asset.
- Ability to speak a First Nation language would be an asset.
- Effective interpersonal and organizational skills required.
- Excellent verbal and technological communication skills required.
- Reliable transportation and possess a valid driver’s license; and
- Current Criminal Record (CPIC) and Vulnerable Sector Check must be provided.
The candidate must be punctual, well spoken, efficient, discreet and pleasant on the telephone and in person. Must be computer literate and must be a problem-solver, ready to find effective solutions. To be able to “go with the flow” on some days is a must! Must have the ability to understand respect and want to learn the beliefs, culture and traditions of the Nakawe Nation. Provide a valid Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Check.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive and commensurate with education and experience
- The Kinistin First Nation invites all interested and qualified Applicants to submit a cover letter and resume identifying qualifications/requirements.
CLOSING DATE FOR RESUMES: Open until position is filled.
Please submit your resume with three professional work references to:
ATTN: Cyrus Smokeyday – EDUCATION DIRECTOR/PRINCIPAL
KINISTIN EDUCATION CENTRE
P.O BOX 2590
TISDALE SK S0E 1T0
P: 306 878 8180
F: 306 873 2887
Download Job Description
We thank all those who apply, however, only those who meet the requirements will be contacted for interview.
Closed when filled.