Full Time – Permanent
The Finance Manager leads, directs and provides policy guidance and oversight of all financial aspects of the financial management of Muskoday First Nation. Reports on all financial activities and brings a financial perspective to Muskoday’s strategic, operational and business planning processes.
This position will ensure that an appropriate internal control framework is in place to manage and safeguard Muskoday’s resources and will deliver specific services including budgeting, forecasting, cash management, accounting, payroll, benefits administration, financial reporting and procurement.
This position is responsible for providing timely, accurate and relevant financial information on MFN to the Executive Director and Chief & Council, ensuring compliance with relevant legislation, regulations, agreements, directives and policies governing the organization’s financial resources.
The Finance Manager Department position is an integral part of the management team of Muskoday, assisting in financial, administration, human resource management and other matters as required, ensuring the Nation has appropriate information systems and related technology to support decision-making, accountability and service delivery.
Main Job Duties (Specific Accountabilities):
- Responsible for the development of sound financial systems, processes and controls, including procedures to monitor the conservation and maintenance of Muskoday cash and non-cash assets, the adequacies of working capital, the safety of operating funds in short-term and long-term investments, the proper disposition and recording of financial transactions and the administration of an effective, accurate and timely financial operation.
- Ensures and oversees appropriate corporate accounting and financial management information systems are in place and that all financial and material transactions of Muskoday are adequately recorded, reported and controlled.
- Develop and monitor Muskoday financial and accounting policies and procedures and prescribe internal controls in the areas of corporate financial, accounting, payroll, materials management
(i.e. procurement, inventory management), capital asset management and risk management policies, to safeguard Muskoday financial resources and satisfy requirements for financial accountability and transparency.
- Monitor corporate compliance with financial policies, procedures and internal controls.
- Develop and update the organization’s short and long-term financial plans in collaboration with the Executive Director, Chief and Council.
- Monitor, appraise and forecast Muskoday’s financial position and performance and alert the Executive Director to potential and actual budget variances and/or discrepancies.
- Oversee the timely preparation of Muskoday’s annual financial statements and prepare for and support the annual external audit.
- Manage the Nation’s investments, cashflow and financial services in collaboration with the Executive Director, Chief and Council.
- Ensure that a level of integration of operational planning and reporting with financial planning is achieved that provides adequate decision-making information for the Executive Director.
- Serve as financial advisor to the Executive Director and Chief & Council regarding financial matters.
- Report to the Executive Director and Chief & Council Muskoday’s financial results and provide quarterly financial forecasts of revenues and expenditures relative to the annual budget.
- Analyze variances and in collaboration with Executive Director and recommend budget revisions and/or take corrective action if required.
- Supervise financial clerks.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Minimum C.A., C.M.A., C.G.A. or C.A.F.M. designation combined with at least three years of related senior level experience. An undergraduate degree in commerce with an accounting major combined with at least three years of related experience may be considered.
- Strong analytical, logical and financial abilities.
- Ability to think and problem solve strategically and respond to challenges with
- innovative solutions and policies.
- Ability to formulate a plan of action and execute it swiftly and decisively.
- Commitment to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to develop and maintain smooth, cooperative working relationships by showing
- consideration, concern and respect for others.
- Possess well-developed computer skills with word processing, spreadsheets, accounting
- and payroll software and financial systems.
- Value diversity, respect differences and build upon cultural and individual variability in
- the workplace.
- Ability to communicate effectively in high-pressure situations and to adapt the content
- and style of communication to a particular audience.
- Experience working with First Nation organizations would be an asset.
- Ability to work to timelines.
- Some travel required.
- May periodically work evenings and/or weekends.
- Health Benefits
- Sick Leave Benefits
- Pension after 6th month successful evaluation
- Federal and Provincial Stat Holiday
- Cell Allowance
- Earned Days Off
Gross Income: Depending on experience ranges from Pay Band Level $75,000 – $90,000.00 per year.
Application Deadline is November 27, 2022
Please submit current updated resume, cover letter stating how you qualify along with three (3) professional references relatable to this field.
Attention: Rae Agnew – MFN CIHRP
PO Box 99 Muskoday, Sask. S0J 3H0
Fax: (306) 764-7272
*Muskoday First Nation appreciates the interest of all applicants; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
*Late applicants will not be accepted.